Funding equity in Delaware is long overdue. The education funding system, the core infrastructure for ensuring equitable allocation of resources, is more than 70 years old. It was built decades before desegregation and decades before the introduction of technology. Like every other industry on the planet, it has to be redesigned to meet the needs of the 21st century—and to meet the needs of our students.
Rodel is just one of many community organizations behind Education Equity Delaware, a coalition committed to delivering excellent and equitable education opportunities to all Delaware students and who believe this objective cannot be attained without a modern, high functioning funding system.
- Delaware Funding System Recommendations (2019): This document shows Delaware compares to other states.
- Education Funding Systems Policy Brief (2015): This brief gives an overview of how Delaware’s education funding system compares to the national landscape and describes potential action steps for updating the current system.
- Additional Detail on Education Funding (2015): Data and information about education funding in Delaware and nationally.
- Delaware Public Education at a Glance : The research includes information on school finances.
- Delaware Education Funding: A Summary of the Current System and Recommended Changes (2015): This document highlights some of the challenges of Delaware’s funding system, how Delaware compares to other states, and the recommendations put forward by Delaware groups to address these challenges.
Check out the Rodel blog for more information!
- Education Funding Improvement Commission (2016): In June 2015, Senate Joint Resolution (SJR) 4 established a Commission to review and make recommendations to modernize and improved Delaware’s system for funding public education.
- LEAD Committee Report on Cost Efficiency in Delaware Education (2008): Report by the Leadership for Education Achievement in Delaware (LEAD) Committee identifying opportunities for cost efficiencies through a thorough analysis of the Delaware’s K-12 public education spending.
- LEAD Committee Report on Education Funding in Delaware (2008): Report by the Leadership for Education Achievement in Delaware (LEAD) Committee that analyzes and makes recommendations on the optimal way to generate and distribute state and local education funding for public education in Delaware that would enhance the adequacy and equity of the system, including adoption of a “weighted” funding formula that accounts for individual student needs.
- State Funding Mechanisms for English Language Learners (2015): Report by the Education Commission of the States that describes the ways that states provide funding for English language learners.
- Understanding State School Funding (2012): Report by the Education Commission of the States explaining complex school funding formulas, with the hope that this knowledge will be used to help support education reform in the states.