Educator Support and Development
Great school teachers and leaders are at the core of a world-class education. Research demonstrates that teachers and leaders are the most important in-school factors impacting student learning. This makes educator support and development one of the highest leverage policy areas impacting student learning.
Rodel has supported the state in learning from the highest performing school systems in the world and their intense focus on educator support and development. We have supported raising standards to enter the teaching profession in Delaware, and data reporting requirements for educator preparation programs.
Our current goal is to dramatically increase recruitment, support, and retention of teachers of color in the profession through the teacher academy pathway, teacher residencies, and creating intentional spaces that cultivate and support culturally responsive practices of new and existing teachers.
We work with local partners including school districts, institutions of higher education, and the Delaware Department of Education.
- Teacher Preparation Collaboration Among Delaware Districts and Educator Preparation Programs 2020-22 (Rodel, 2020)
- Recruiting, Supporting, Sustaining Teacher of Color: 2021 Equity and Beyond report and Rodel’s Executive Summary
- Delaware’s Pathway to Teach (2020), a report that charts the pathway to becoming a teacher in Delaware – beginning in middle school through hiring – and recommends how to improve it.
- Empowering Great Teachers in Delaware: Teacher Preparation Collaboration Among Delaware Districts and Educator Preparation Programs, 2020-2022, a presentation on teacher preparation collaboration among Delaware districts and educator preparation programs.
- Policy Briefs:
- Delaware Public Education at a Glance: Rodel’s Delaware public education resource guide features key statistics and information on Delaware teacher leaders, including: demographics, years of experience, educational attainment, compensation, performance evaluations, and turnover.
Check out the Rodel blog for more information!
- Delaware Department of Education: The Department of Education’s website has many resources on educator support and development in Delaware.
- Join Delaware Schools: A website providing easy access to all vacancies in Delaware’s public education system.
- Delaware Department of Education’s Educator Equity Plan (2015-2025): Delaware’s plan to ensure equitable access to excellent educators for all students.