Early Childhood News: Announcing DEL Teams
A bold leap into uncharted early-childhood territory has occurred in Delaware to ensure that our state’s youngsters are kindergarten-ready. The Delaware Office of Early Learning (OEL) and the Delaware Early Learning Center (DEEC) announced its selection of fifteen Delaware Readiness Teams (DEL Teams) that will support kindergarten readiness and birth to grade three alignment throughout the education system. The competitive application process to become a DEL Team started back in January.
The creation of these DEL Teams was part of the Delaware’s winning Race to the Top – Early Learning Challenge application. DEL Teams promote a community approach to readiness that includes children’s health, learning and development, early learning programs’ and schools’ connections, family engagement, and the provision of family resources and services as a model that best prepares children for school success. In addition, it will be the start of getting all of these folks to speak the same language—removing the sloughs that sometimes exist between the early childhood and early elementary personnel.
The fifteen DEL Teams will receive up to three years of support (up to $1000 each in the first year) to establish their Team, complete a community-based needs assessment on kindergarten readiness, and directly address the needs of families, schools, early care/education programs and children who are making the transition from early childhood programs to kindergarten. In addition, selected teams will receive technical assistance, resources, and professional development to support their community’s unique needs.
The DEL Teams span all three counties and include:
- 18th & Baynard Team (Wilmington)
- Brandywine Readiness Partnership
- Cape Henlopen Community Team
- Center City Wilmington Delaware Readiness Team
- Delaware Statewide Programs for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing, and Deaf-Blind
- Lake Forest Readiness Team
- Love A Valuable One Now – The Help I Really Deserve (Milford)
- Lower Sussex Readiness Team
- Mt. Pleasant Community Partnership
- North Dover Readiness Team
- Seaford Readiness Team
- Smyrna Clayton Eaglets Readiness Team
- South Dover Readiness Team
- Team Keene
- Woodbridge Readiness Team