English Learner Needs: COVID-19
What Have We Heard?
In April 2020, Rodel issued a survey asking respondents to prioritize the immediate, short-term needs related to COVID-19 and the longer-term needs for when students and teachers return to school. As our previous blog summarized, the 859 respondents, most of whom were parents and educators, cited a range of education needs including from Wi-Fi, parent supports, mental health, clear communication, and learning materials.
Furthermore, 52% of survey respondents indicated that they represent, serve, or care for English Learners/students who speak a language other than English. The results support what members of the Delaware Hispanic Commission Education subcommittee have shared at its last two monthly meetings.
In addition to the general education needs for all students listed above, we heard that English learners specifically need:
- Access to certified English learner teachers, programs, tutors, and translator services
- Access to an adaptation of online/printed materials, programs, and learning management system, in both English and the user’s native language
- Parent support including translation, interpreter assistance, technological assistance, training on how to help students learn, such as:
- Translation and ‘drop in’ type virtual Q&A sessions with qualified staff (not necessarily their teacher) to answer their questions
- Help managing learning for families with more than one child
- Support to communicate with all English-speaking and non-English speaking parents on how schools will transition back to in-person schooling, i.e. identifying learning gaps, transition year info
Where To Go For Answers To Frequently Asked Questions
During our Delaware Hispanic Commission Education Committee meetings, members of the community have asked questions about the current status of education for ELs.
What resources exist to address the needs of ELs, their families, and educators?
The links below include suggestions from the Delaware Hispanic Commission Education Subcommittee.
- Thanks Luke! Delaware’s Heralded CTE Director Joins Biden-Harris Administration
- Your Yearly Reminder to VOTE in School Board Elections on May 10
- What can Delaware learn from CNBC’s State Rankings for Business?
- “The Education GA” Rides Again: Busy Legislative Session Focuses on Early Learning, Literacy, and Teacher Supports
- What to Make of the Small Jump in Delaware Public School Enrollment