Tough Choices and A Great Opportunity
Delaware, like most states, is abuzz with talk about what the education stimulus package will mean for us. This is shaping up to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for our schools, and we must make sure these resources are used to their full potential. There is a lot of money in the federal stimulus fund that will go directly to schools to help fill holes in their budgets and to provide needed services for students. There is also a significant amount of money to try new things, and Delaware is in a good position to attract some of these “Race to the Top” dollars. Efforts like Vision 2015, the newly announced partnership with the “Tough Choices or Tough Times” initiative, and a reform-minded Governor and Secretary of Education are all putting us on the right track.
We are in position to make a difference in our education system today that will benefit our state for generations to come. Although lots of work has been done, there is still a lot to do. There is a great opportunity in front of us, but it will take innovative thinking, making tough choices, and pulling together to take full avantage.
So, can we compete with other states in the “Race to the Top”? Click here to see what they are doing. And, why can’t Delaware create our own state innovation fund?
- We Knew State and National Test Scores Would Drop. Now Let’s Get to Work.
- Supporting Delaware’s Students in the Wake of COVID
- Parent Advocacy Leads to New, More Accessible Online Kindergarten Registration System
- Reasons to Be Optimistic about the Wilmington Learning Collaborative
- Remembering MLK Through the Next Generation